Interesting Facts about Dufton
Courtesy of Shelagh Endres and as displayed on the Dufton Village Plaque on the Village Green
The Name: Dufton means"the farmstead where the doves were kept". It is first mentioned in 1176 in the pipe rolls.
The Manor belonged to the Greystoke family until the 16th century when it passed to the Earls of Arundel. It had several owners in the 17th and 18th century. In the late 18th century it was purchased by the Sackvilles (later the Earls of Thanet).
Old Dufton - refers to the remains of the Romano-British settlement about 3/4 mile above the present village.
The Church lies about half a mile outside the Village on the Knock road. It is dedicated to St Cuthbert. There is some medieval stonework, but it was largely rebuilt in the restorations of 1784 and 1853. The site is probably Celtic. The first mention of Dufton Church is in the Papal Taxation records of 1291.
The Mines - there are extensive mining remains on Dufton Fell. The early mining leases were granted by the Lords of the Manor of Dufton throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. From about 1820 the mines were taken over by the London Lead Company (the "Quaker Company"). Lead mining ceased on Dufton Fell in 1897; however barytes have been extracted from the spoil heaps on two occasions in the 20th century.
Village School - is the building in the middle of the green at the bottom end of the village. It was founded in the 1670s. It was rebuilt by public conscription in 1839 and supported by the London Lead Co. It closed in the 1960s and is now a private house.
Dufton Hall - the earliest part is the West Wing, which dates form the 17th century. Most of the building is 18th century. The crest over the door is that of Edward Milward, the Lord of the Manor.
The Lime Trees on the green were planted in 1892
Methodist Chapel - there have been 3. One built in1820 was the Wesleyan Chapel - now a private house. The first Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1839 - it is now derelict. A new Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1905 and this is currently in use.
Fountains - there are 5. These and the village water course were provided by the London Lead Co. in the 19th century so that inhabitants had a clean water supply.
The Village Hall at the bottom of the green was built as a Conservative and Unionist Club in 1911-12. It became the Village Hall in 1963.
Oldest buildings date from 17th century - examples are the old cottage in the joiner's yard (1632) and Yew Tree Cottage (1655)
Pubs - the present pub was once called the Buck Inn. The name changed to The Stag in 1888. Sycamore House was once the Black Bull.
Shops - in the 19th century there were many, including grocer's, butcher's (with abbatoir), bakery, general dealer's and draper's. The present cafe was the village post office and shop into the 21st century.